Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sam Scarecrow

Jean Greenhowe stash - Sam
© Copyright Jean Greenhowe Designs 2006 - 2011
© Copyright Jean Greenhowe Designs 2006 - 2011

An Op-Shop find....

How can you resist this for 99 cents ! All that knitted detail - field critters, buckle and buttons. I thought I'd see if I could find out something about this character and did a bit of a google search. As I thought, he's a Jean Greenhowe character from a pattern booklet called Scarecrow Family.

This is Sam Scarecrow, and his pattern was first published in 1985 in the English Women's Weekly. The success of Sam according the magazine's readers was in the detail that was provided in the pattern and that everything was knitted. This prompted Jean to create a family of scarecrows which became the first published Jean Greenhowe Designs production.

Sam from Hobart is very well made and uncannily true to the original pattern and colourway.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Linda. My name is Shane and I live in South Africa. I am looking for a digital copy of the Sam scarecrow pattern for my wife, Dawn. Could you please scan it in and email me at flpstars1@gmail.com?

    ReplyDelete